Innovation Pathways Program
Attention Burncoat and Doherty students currently in 9th and 10th grade. Worcester Public School is launching a new Innovation Pathway program where students will have the opportunity to explore a technical area of interest while also earning a certification that is marketable in the job field and would enhance their future plans and opportunities in the field of choice. You are invited to apply to this pilot program that merges academic and career planning.
The technical programs and associated certifications or opportunities open to students are:
- Health Careers/Nursing – Certified Nursing Assistant Certification and OSHA
- Civil Engineering/Carpentry – Possible pre-apprenticeship in a labor union and OSHA
- Advanced Manufacturing – NIMS and MACWIC Certification and OSHA
- Information Technology – AP classes, A+ Certification, and OSHA
The technical programs would run 2 days a week from the end of November to March and would be held from 2:30-5:30 at Worcester Technical High School. Students would receive bussing to Worcester Technical at the end of their regular day of school. Additionally, students would:
- Enroll in a class at their current high school designed to teach professional skills and support them through their academics as well as the technical program they choose
- Complete two college level classes over the course of their next three years
- Participate in a capstone project or a 100-hour paid summer internship in the field of their choice
Interested students can download the application (or get it from guidance) and should return it no later than May 31, 2018.